Once Upon a Life  

Go Back   Once Upon a Life > The Baby Life > Pregnancy > Getting Ready for Baby
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old April 17th, 2007, 10:58 PM   #1
MrsPeacefrog
Busy in lollyland

MrsPeacefrog has a reputation
Transverse baby

I have a friend who is 32/33 weeks pregnant and has just found out her baby is transverse (side position). The drs have told her if the baby doesn't turn then she needs to have a C-section. This is her 2nd child the first was born vaginally with no complications.

Has anyone here been transverse and did the baby turn for you? if so, how late?

Any positions that can be done to help turn the baby?
MrsPeacefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Jayne
Super Nanny hard at work!

Jayne is an unknown quantity
Alyssa was every way but down and she turned in the 34th week. (THANKFULLY) I just prayed about it and got lucky. Not sure that there is anything to do to make the baby turn. Does she know how big her baby is. WHat made Alyssa so easy to turn was that she was a Tiny Peanut. She was only 6lbs 7oz at birth. So a few weeks sooner and she was tiny.
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Shel
Conductor of the Oh Hell No train

Shel has a reputation
Owen was transverse, and did turn, but unfortunately, his head did not engage and he turned sideways again. However, no one noticed until I had been in labor for 18 hours, because everyone thought he was head down.

My doctor told me there were some old wives tales to try and help a baby turn (laying half upside down by propping an ironing board on a table, using a flashlight to coax the baby around etc), but other than a external version, nothing really would help. The external version uses medications to relax your uterus and then they push the baby around from the outside. My doctor actually refuses to do it.
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #4
MrsPeacefrog
Busy in lollyland

Yeah, Riley was breech and I remember lying there with my butt in the air alot to get him to turn, but I wasn't sure if it was different for a transverse baby.

I don't think she would do the external version, and she is preparing herself for a C/S but I thought it would be nice to give her some advice that might help her avoid that if possible.
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #5
tuesdayswife
OK... Anyone miss me?

tuesdayswife is an unknown quantity
That's still really early... good that they know, but still to early to make that a definite decision. Mia was breech until, I think (I'd have to go back and check), my 36th week??? Then by the time that apt came around, she was head-down.
tuesdayswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #6
Karri
I'm gonna pop some tags.

Karri has a reputation
Aidan was breech at 32 weeks and never turned. At 32 weeks was when we scheduled my c-section, because there was little chance he'd turn w/o an external version and my OB left it up to me whether or not I would do that and I didn't want to.

I think I've read stuff about chiropractors? You may want to have her look into that....

...handmade goodness

Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #7
Shel
Conductor of the Oh Hell No train

Shel has a reputation
I went to a chiropractor faithfully the entire time I was pg with Owen
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #8
MrsPeacefrog
Busy in lollyland

Even though they do think it's possible, at this stage and the size of the baby they odds are slim. I had a friend who had her baby turn vertex the day OF her scheduled C-section at 39 weeks and got to finish out her pregnancy and have her vaginally one week later.

I think their worries though are that with a transverse baby because of the side by side position when it labour it puts more pressure on the uterus which can cause a rupture.

Either way I have recommended she do the same exersises I did to turn Riley from breech, and hope for the best.